We use the Cambridge International Curriculum throughout our school. This is an international curriculum created and managed by the world-renowned Cambridge International Examinations organisation (www.cambridgeinternational.org), which is an offshoot of Cambridge University.
The curriculum sets a global standard for education and is recognised by universities and employers worldwide. The curriculum is flexible, challenging and inspiring, culturally sensitive yet international in approach. Our intention is to use the Cambridge curriculum to develop curiosity and a desire for learning which will last throughout our pupils’ lives.
Over 10,000 schools follow the Cambridge International Curriculum. This means that pupils will easily find another Cambridge school if they need to move countries. The transition from one Cambridge school to another is easy and there also strong links with the National Curriculum of England (https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum) and close similarities with other international curricula such as the International Baccalaureate programme ( www.ibo.org ).
The Cambridge Curriculum consists of four stages
For children aged 5 to 11; they study English as a First or Second Language, Maths, Science, ICT and Cambridge Global Perspectives, a humanities course which combines historical and geographic topics
Cambridge Lower Secondary
For children aged 11 to 14; they study English as a First or Second Language, Science, ICT and Cambridge Global Perspectives (see above)
Cambridge Upper Secondary
For children aged 14 to 16; they study a wide range of subjects, including English, Mathematics, Science, Geography, Drama and Art for Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
For children aged 16 to 18; they study three or four from a wide range of subjects, including English Literature, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, History and Art for Cambridge International Advanced Level (A Level)
This is what Cambridge International has to say about their curriculum:
“Cambridge programmes combine an emphasis on mastering subjects in depth with the development skills for study and work in the future. We value deep subject knowledge as well as the conceptual understanding that helps students make links between different aspects of a subject. We also encourage students to develop higher order thinking skills - problem solving, critical thinking, independent research, collaboration and presenting arguments. These are transferable skills that will last a lifetime, preparing students for their future lives. They also make learning enjoyable and rewarding.”
As a Cambridge School, we prepare school students for life, helping them develop an informed curiosity and a lasting passion for learning. We are part of the University of Cambridge.
- Our Cambridge Pathway gives students a clear and rigorous path for educational success from age 5 to 19.
- BISC can shape the curriculum around how we want students to learn – with a wide range of subjects and flexible ways to offer them.
- We help students discover new abilities and a wider world, and the skills they need for life, so they can achieve at school, university and work.
- Each stage builds on the learners’ development from the previous one or from other educational systems.
- We offer an unrivalled choice of subjects: over 70 at IGCSE and over 50 at A Level. Schools can let students choose subjects in any combination.
- Our Cambridge qualifications are widely recognised by the world’s best universities and employers.
- 98% of University Admissions Officers surveyed said Cambridge programmes give students excellent preparation for university.
- We provide first-class support for teachers through publications, online resources, training and professional development.
- Every year, nearly a million Cambridge learners from 10 000 schools in over 160 countries prepare for their future with an international education from Cambridge.
- Cambridge has a 150-year history of providing international exams. It is a not-for-profit organisation and the only exam board wholly owned by a world-leading university
Share this page
Admissions are now opened and we invite you to visit us, meet our Heads, Teachers, Admissions team to discover our pedagogy based on rigour, excellence, compassion and respect.Enquiry now